People who want to quit smoking may have to slog hard to get over the habit as it is injurious to health. Many of them are not able to recover from the withdrawal symptoms that appear when the body reacts to the new condition. As a result, they continue their smoking to get over the stress of life. All people need is to have the will power to overcome the obstacles that come in their way. All of them are fully aware about the hazards of smoking. If they have the will to get over the withdrawal symptoms, they would have won half the battle against smoking.
Tips to Quit Smoking
People might have received some tips to quit the smoking habit from their close friends and physicians. In this article, we would be listing 10 top non-medical ways to quit smoking for the benefit of readers who are chronic smokers.
1. Nicotine Replacement Therapy:You can seek the family physician’s help to use this therapy. Under his supervision, you can use either nicotine patches or nicotine gums to release steady stream of nicotine into the blood circulation so that the body does not crave for it.
2. Strong Reasons: The quitting smoking is a mind game. You should ponder over things that happen around you and find out strong reasons to get rid of it.
3. Collect Information: Be informed to tell your mind about the need to quit. You can visit different websites containing information about the hazards of smoking to persuade your mind to quit it.
4. Remain Positive: The stress developed in the body, the anxiety in the mind about life or combination of both has led people to look for a means to forget everything. If you stay positive, you don’t require anything at all to cool your mind off.
5. Self-reward: You need to get motivated for the task at hand. This is the driving force for many smokers to move forward. Think of money you save when you quit smoking habit. You can consider this as a reward you get in return for your effort to quit smoking.
6. Avoid Self-punishment: Another reason for resorting to smoking is to ward off the tension that accompanies some failures that you come across in life. Tell your mind that the failures are stepping-stones to the success.
7. Seek Help: Some people need constant impetus and support from others to quit smoking. Such people need to talk about their plans to quit with their friends and relatives and seek their support.
8. Seek Quit Buddy: You can seek the help of a quit buddy and discuss with him your plans to quit. This would in turn give the much-needed urge to quit. Sometimes, such pep talks may open a new array of opportunities for you.
9. Make List of To-do Things: You can prepare a list of things to do urgently and keep it ready. When the craving for the nicotine becomes intense, think of doing these things according to the list prepared. This would divert your attention away from the craving and keep you occupied.
10. Don’t Succumb to Craving: Never think of quenching the craving with one cigarette a day. If you fall for it, you may not end with one cigarette as the craving becomes more intense.
Smoking every year kills thousands of people. This leads to sheer wastage of human resources. Despite the hazards involved in smoking, people knowingly get initiated into it to get over the stresses of life. The body craving for nicotine keeps them in the loop. To avoid this vicious circle, the chronic smokers can read this article that lists out non-medical ways to quit smoking.
source : ezinearticles